GINGER AND NETTLE ICE CREAM
Tuesday, 12 April 2022 19:12
Nettle and Ginger Ice cream
Ingredients: Candied ginger, nettles, eggs, milk, double cream, caster sugar
- Beat up 5 egg yolks & 4 spoons of caster sugar.
- Heat 100 ml of milk and 600 ml double cream until nearly boiling. Remove from the heat. Froth up with an electric whisk.
- When cool, add the egg yolks and sugar. Beware. If the milk mixture is too hot they will curdle however the eggs need to cook a little to thicken the milk so that it becomes a custard. Return to heat Using a bain marie if the liquid does not thicken.
- Put the ice cream ‘custard' in the freezer until it is almost frozen 50-75% frozen.
- Remove from the freezer and whip the almost frozen mixture with the electric whisk. The aim of this is to break up ice crystals and add air to the ice cream; it should gradually double in volume and become smooth.
- Now stir in a cupful of finely pureed and sieved young nettles and half a cup of chopped candied ginger. Taste the mixture. It should slightly sweeter as freezing diminishes flavour.
- Place in the freezer. (You can whip it again as before if you wish for added fluffiness).
- Remove the ice cream from the freezer a little before serving if it is very hard.
- Serve in small spring flower ice bowls if possible.
If you want the ice cream to be slightly softer, add a slug of alcohol such as vodka.